Filesmart Tax

Frequently Asked Questions

What is FileSmart™?

At FileSmart™, we believe in making taxes stress-free and financial management a breeze. Our all-inclusive approach provides expert tax guidance, year-round support, and exclusive resources to empower you on your financial journey.

FileSmart™ is America's first robust, cost-effective tax solution. When you sign up for a FileSmart™ membership, we’ve got you covered for all of your tax needs including:

Federal and State Tax Return: File your Federal and State Tax Returns effortlessly with our award winning online service. Enjoy a hassle-free and cost-effective experience, maximizing your savings.

Tax Extension: Rushing to file your tax return may cause you to miss important credits and deductions and could result in overpayment of taxes. File a tax extension and receive an additional six months to submit your tax return.

Ask an Expert: Year-round support and access to our Tax Experts, including up to 5 questions a month.

IRS Shield: Respond to any IRS letter with the help of our tax experts - without paying ANY hourly fees! Get help and support from people who know how to respond.

Tax Prep and Planning: Be better prepared to file your taxes next year, or learn how to save more money this year.

Online Courses: Our library of tax and financial courses is available to all our members. Empower yourself by learning about taxes and general finances

and much more! Click Here to sign up for your FileSmart™ Membership today.

FileSmart™ Tax Experts are at your service year-round to answer your personalized tax questions and help you save money! Our experts are here to help you every step of the way, so you can feel confident in your financial decisions.

You can ask anything from whether or not certain income is taxable to common self-employed tax deductions. After logging into your account, click the Ask an Expert button and submit your questions. Your FileSmart™ membership includes up to 5 questions a month!

After logging in, click Ask an Expert on your dashboard and our tax experts will assist you further.

Have you received a letter from the IRS? With a FileSmart™ membership, we’ve got you covered. This service has been designed to provide you with expert assistance and peace of mind when dealing with the IRS. With IRS Shield, you can respond to any IRS letter or inquiry with confidence, knowing you have the support of our experienced tax professionals.

After logging in, click IRS Shield on your dashboard, upload your document, and our team of tax experts will be in touch with your personalized proposed solution.

Click Here and click Sign Up for a FileSmart™ membership and take control of your financial future.

FileSmart™ ensures transparent pricing without hidden fees, offering a wealth of services for just pennies a day.

Click Here and click Sign Up to create your account and get started.

Our dedicated team of customer support agents is focused on assisting you, with customer satisfaction as our top priority.

Our support team can be reached at You can also login and click the contact us menu option on your dashboard. Our support team responds to requests within 24-48 business hours and are available Monday - Friday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST.

If you are having trouble accessing your information, click on the "forgot password" link, and you will receive an email to change your password. If you are still unable to login, Click Here to contact our support team.

Click Here to create an account, reset your password, or manage your subscription.

Tax professionals accepted by the IRS into its electronic filing program are called "Authorized IRS e-File Providers". Each year, we are required to complete testing with the IRS to ensure that our software is operating properly and securely.

We are an Authorized IRS e-file provider, and are required to pass security and privacy tests by the IRS in order to provide this service. These rigorous tests are required to electronically submit data directly to the IRS. This status can be verified with the IRS directly.

We protect your data as if it were our own. We utilize military-grade data storage processes to ensure that all your data is 100% secure. Your privacy is guaranteed—we do not share any customer data with unaffiliated third parties as specified in our privacy policy.

Yes, an extension of time to file your return does not grant you any extension of time to pay your tax liability. To find the best way to make a payment for you, visit

The IRS and most states require that you file either your tax return or for a tax extension regardless of whether you owe taxes or not. However, there are no additional fees, penalties, or interest charges due on a refund tax return filed after the April 15th deadline.

We will email you through each step of the process when you file for a tax extension with us. In the event you don't find an email from us, it's important that you check your spam mail folder. Alternatively, you can always just log back into your account to check on the status of your extension.

Yes, our software will generate your prefilled extension form, where you can print and mail your personal or business income tax extension request for free.

Get peace of mind with instant submission, confirmation of receipt and avoid unnecessary tax preparation fees by e-filing your tax extension request.

Utilize your FileSmart™ membership to electronically file your tax extension request at no additional cost.

Filing for an extension increases the amount of time you have to file your tax return but it doesn't require that you file after the deadline. Theoretically, you could file a tax extension and then file your tax return minutes later without issue.

Yes, you can choose to file your taxes by the original tax deadline. In that case, the IRS will simply ignore the extension of time requested.

Our process guides you through what information you need to file for your tax extension. You will need basic personal information (name, address, Social Security Number) and in the event you are planning to make a payment with your extension, it's possible you'll need some taxable income information. It's also helpful to have your previous year's tax return on-hand during the extension request process. If you find yourself needing to track down some information to complete your extension, our system automatically saves whatever data you've already entered so you can easily come back to complete the process.

Below is a list of 4 categories with a list of states that fall under that category:

States that automatically grant state extensions when you file a federal extension:

Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin

States that automatically grant state extensions, regardless of whether you file a federal extension:

Alabama, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, Utah, Virginia

States where you must file a separate state tax extension to be granted one:

New York, Washington, D.C.

States that have no income tax and therefore no state extension:

Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, Wyoming

Please check with your state's tax office for more details.

There are no IRS requirements for taxpayers to be eligible to file for an income tax extension. The IRS doesn't even require you to give a reason for wanting the extension. That said, all tax extensions must be approved and accepted by the IRS. The IRS matches the information submitted with the extension and compares that information with what they have on file for you. The vast majority of rejections are due to taxpayers submitting data that doesn't match up to IRS records so please be thoughtful when entering your information.

Not true, the IRS doesn't audit e-filed returns any more than it audits paper returns, or vice versa.

We will provide you with our confirmation number, as well as an IRS confirmation number when your extension is approved by the IRS. The confirmation number will be emailed, as well as available when you login to our system.

Yes. The IRS generally requires different tax extension applications for personal extensions and business extensions. The exception is for single member LLC businesses. If you own a single member LLC, then you can file a personal income tax extension (Form 4868) which will extend both your personal and business tax deadline.

No! This is one of the most common misconceptions about tax extensions. The IRS will grant you a five-month extension, no questions asked, as long as you fill out the correct form on time (that's Form 4868 for individual income tax extensions, and Form 7004 for businesses).

You are not obligated to make a tax payment when you file for your tax extension. However, if you have a tax balance due when you file, penalties or late fees may be assessed if you do not pay the amount owed by the original filing deadline.

Once you e-File your extension, your information is sent to the IRS for approval. If you are not approved, a notification will be sent giving reason why the IRS rejected your tax extension application, and we will help to resolve your issue. You can resubmit your application as many times as necessary at no additional charge. However, we do not provide refund once the application is processed.

The IRS' late payment penalty is 0.5% of the taxes not paid, charged per month, up to a maximum of 25%. For example, if you have $2,000 of unpaid taxes, the IRS may charge you $10 per month as a late payment penalty.

The interest rate varies, but is typically around 3%-5%. It can change quarterly and is based on the Federal short-term rate plus 3%. Interest on your unpaid tax compounds daily, so you will want to pay it as soon as you are able.

The good news is that as long as your federal extension is approved, you will avoid the costly late filing penalty. However, since you are unable to pay your tax liability, you may charged interest on the amount you owe, which is generally charged at rate of 3%-5% per year. You will be able to calculate any interest owed when you file your final tax return.

Yes, the IRS will generally work with individuals and businesses who cannot afford to pay their tax liability by negotiating payment plans or installment agreements. To discuss payment plans, you should contact the IRS directly by submitting IRS Form 9465 (Installment Agreement Request) or by calling 1-800-829-1040.

Once you submit your federal tax extension, it is automatically routed to the IRS for approval. If your application is rejected by the IRS, you'll be able to fix any errors and resubmit to the IRS for approval.

As an authorized e-file provider, we can submit your extension request on your behalf, however we do not process any tax payments. If you owe taxes to the IRS, visit them directly in order to coordinate the payment of your tax.

Yes. The AGI is only needed if you are making an online tax payment to the IRS. If you did not file taxes last year (or do not have your AGI) and need to make a tax payment, we recommend simply filing your extension online and paying the IRS direct via one of the methods specified on their website.

If, on the regular due date of your return, you are "out of the country" and are a U.S. citizen or resident, you are allowed 2 extra months to file your return and pay any amount due without requesting an extension. File Form 4868 and be sure to check the box on line 8 if you need an additional 4 months to file your return.

"Out of the country" means:

You live outside the United States and Puerto Rico and your main place of work is outside the United States and Puerto Rico,


You are in military or naval service outside the United States and Puerto Rico. If you qualify as being "out of the country", you will still be eligible for the extension even if you are physically present in the United States or Puerto Rico on the regular due date of the return.

If you have missed the deadline for an extension and still haven't completed your taxes, do them ASAP! This will help minimize IRS penalties and interest owed. Remember, if you owed taxes, the money was due to the IRS by April 15th. Even if you can only send in a partial payment, that will help reduce the amount of penalties and interest you owe.

As long as your Electronic Postmark Timestamp above is before the deadline in your time zone, your extension will not be considered late, even if it takes a long time to submit or to be acknowledged.

When the Internal Revenue Service Acknowledges your submitted Application, they may reject it because it contains errors. If these errors can be corrected, you may VISIT OUR SITE and re-submit your information. As long as you re-submit your application within FIVE CALENDAR DAYS of the rejection, your Electronic Postmark Timestamp will be the same, and, if accepted, your Application will be on time, even if it was re-submitted after the April 15th Deadline.

Some errors can't be corrected - usually if there's a problem with your Taxpayer Identification Number, or if an application or return has already been accepted for your Taxpayer Identification Number. In these cases, we recommend that you contact your local Internal Revenue Service Office -

If the Internal Revenue Service reports any error, we will email you with an explanation of the errors and whether you can correct them.

If your tax extension is rejected by the IRS, you can fix any errors and resubmit at no additional charge.

Submitting your tax return is made easy with a FileSmart™ membership! Tax returns are due on April 15, 2024, unless you have successfully filed an extension.

If you feel like you have time and knowledge to file your return then our easy-to-use DIY (Do It Yourself) software is the best fit or you. Our software walks you through your particular tax situation at your own pace.

If you need to file a tax return for your business, our Certified CPAs are ready to assist you.

Click Here to sign up for your FileSmart membership today.

Our world class, certified CPAs are on standby to to provide the highest levels of DFY (Done For You) tax preparation at the lowest possible cost.

If you are worried about your tax situation or don't feel like you have the time, then one of our certified CPAs can complete your tax return for you and ensure that you get every penny that you are entitled to.

Login here, select My Filings, Select Done For You, and choose that plan best fits your needs. You will then schedule your appointment to be well on your way to having your taxes completed.

Tax returns must be submitted to the IRS by 4/15/2024. Need more time? With a FileSmart™ membership you can electronically file a six month tax extension for free.

Login here, select My Filings, and choose the option that best fits your needs. Our pricing and options vary based on your unique requirements, ensuring comprehensive coverage to save you time and money.

Login here, select My Filings, Select DIY, Re-Enter your password and follow the prompts to view the status of your tax return. You can then follow the instructions to make the required amendments and resubmit.

Contact our support team here with any questions.

If you owe money to the IRS after completing a tax return, you will be prompted to submit your tax payment when submitting your tax return. You can also make a payment directly to the IRS by visiting:

Our easy to use Custom Tax Prep Planner gives you comprehensive insight into which documents are needed to complete your tax return.

Login to your account here, and click Custom Tax Prep Planner on your dashboard to receive personalized advice based on your financial situation.

Login here, select My Filings, Select DIY, Re-Enter your password and follow the prompts to view the status of your tax return. You can then follow the instructions to make the required amendments and resubmit.

Contact our support team here with any questions.

You can check the status of your refund with the IRS at: